31: Having Hope and Being Up for the Fight with Bill C. Potts
Do you wish there was a cancer handbook? Do you ever sit and try to find a community or wonder why your cancer didn't come with an operator's manual? If you feel like you are all alone and utterly unequipped for your cancer journey, this episode is for you!
My guest today is Bill C. Potts, who is a five-time cancer survivor, six-time cancer thriver, IRONMAN triathlete, and motivational speaker. His book, "Up for the Fight, How to Advocate for Yourself as You Battle Cancer from a Five-Time Survivor" is like "What to Expect When You're Expecting" - but for cancer. The book is supported by MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, The LLS, and the MMRF. The book will improve the journey of cancer patients and their families.
In this episode, Bill and I dissect his 20-year journey with cancer and how he is using his experience to help others have more hope and more understanding in their journey. This episode is full of powerful insight, so be sure to listen!
Together we unpack:
- The start of Bill's cancer story (3:23)
- Chornobyl level iodine radiation (4:58)
- Being escorted out of the doctor's office (6:27)
- Becoming an early adopter of immunotherapy (7:45)
- Advocating for yourself and Up for the Fight (9:36)
- Bill's perspective on his incurable lymphoma (12:14)
- Bill's reason to fight (14:00)
- Diving into Bill's legacy and the view of his family (16:09)
- Having a buddy and support system on your side (19:23)
- Bill's most significant takeaway from his 20-year cancer journey (21:52)
- The impact of being an Iron Man (23:30)
Are you up for the fight? This episode with Bill was so impactful; we hope it left you feeling more hope as well! Say hello on Insta and let me know how this conversation with Bill impacted you on your Grateful Warrior journey. Let's connect more!
Connect with Bill C. Potts
Connect with Holly:
On the web - Fortitude.Academy
If today's episode resonated with you, be sure to hit the follow button where you are listening and also tap those 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and leave a great review because it would mean so much to me to hang out with you every week and because it will also help to get this podcast and our wonderful message out to more Grateful Warriors!
Thanks for tuning in to this episode and I'll see you next week!